PRICE: USD 50 per person
- Visit a home in Chinotimba suburb
- Spend time at a popular vegetable market
- Check out a local beer hall
- Interact with friendly residents of Chinotimba
This activity by Rukoko Safaris takes you on a trip to the oldest suburb in Victoria Falls, Chinotimba, which has a population of approximately 60 000 people. Here, tour-goers can observe township life up close.
Following a short drive (the township is located 10 minutes away from most hotels and lodges in Victoria Falls), we begin the trip with a visit to a local family home. Here, the residents of the home will welcome you and educate you on everyday life in Victoria Falls and Chinotimba. You will get a chance to walk around the home and learn about the process of acquiring a home in urban Zimbabwe.
After the educational home visit, your professional guide will take you to a vegetable market in Chinotimba where most of the residents purchase their vegetables for daily consumption. At the township market, you’ll be able to talk to the local entrepreneurs and see how their businesses operate and thrive. You will also be able to purchase goods to take home or to your place of accommodation.
The tour ends with a visit to a beer hall, where you will get the opportunity to sample ‘Chibuku’, a famous local beer with a rich history that you will learn all about before you head home. You will be dropped off at your hotel or lodge following the beer hall visit. The Chinotimba Township Tour lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes. We depart at 10:30 a.m., although afternoon tours can be arranged upon request.
WHAT TO BRING
- Sunscreen, a sun hat and sunglasses
- Your booking confirmation voucher
- Your camera
- Money for purchases from the market (optional)
- Transfers to and from the township
- A professional guide for the duration of the tour
- Bottled water
- Donation to a home
- Any purchases from the market
- Gratuities (not mandatory)
- No age restrictions.
- Children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
WHAT TO WEAR
- Casual comfortable clothing.
- Closed walking shoes (you’ll be walking, and the area has a lot of sand).
- A jacket for warmth during the winter months of May to July.
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- We recommend that you carry small notes in USD for crafts purchases.
- It is necessary to communicate with our guide prior to taking photographs. Should you promise to send pictures back to the people, we ask that you please follow through in this regard.
- Note that donations are appreciated but not expected. You are in no way obligated to donate.